Thursday 10 November 2011

Remembrance Day

Every year of my life I have had a remembrance ceremony in school, but what about when i'm out of school? Will I continue this moment of silence at 11:00 11/11? I hope I do, but I can't promise anything.

While I do have great respect for the fallen who were fighting for their countries, I think I would be a little more attached to this day emotionally if I had family apart of the war. The closest thing I have had to a family member in war is my great uncle. I believe he joined the military in the Korean War, but while he never actually left Canada he still had plenty of stories of when he went over to Korea... so there you go, the closest thing I have to family war stories are fake ones made up by my drug addict great uncle.

For Cougar Vision my group interviewed a couple of war veterans, (Want to check out the video? Go to our CougarVision2012 youtube channel). These interviews were quite eye opening, these men were very honest, telling crazy story about the people that they saw die, and time in POW Camps. Hearing these men talk, it... it really makes you thankful for not having to go through this pain yourself.

I do love war video games and war movies, but around this time of the year I take the time to think of what they mean, and try to wrap my head around the fact that todays youth are playing on a virtual representation of Iwo Jima, and D-Day, places where real men were scared and cold, and real men died... and didn't respawn...

No comments:

Post a Comment