Monday 31 October 2011

Pumped up Kicks

I'm not sure whenthe album "Torches" was released, but I just started listening to it over the past week. The popular single by Foster the People "Pumped up Kicks" was got me into the band. The song is very catchy, but when you listen to the lyrics you realize just how weird and strange this song really is. It is about a boy who was often beaten by his father, and how he got a gun and shot a bunch of kids at a mall in Michigan. It is freaky that the way this story is told is through the point of view of the boy.

The verse is "All the other kids with the pumped up kicks, you'd better run, better run, outrun my gun. All the other kids with the pumped up kicks, you'd better run, better run, faster than my bullet."

This verse is very creepy, becase the boy is toying with those kids, because he's saying run away from the bullet, which is ironic because nobody can run faster than a bullet.

In my opinion, this is a great song, its great because of the catchy tune and lyrics. But also after reading about what its about makes it even more interesting. Such a serious topic in the point of view of the murderer is quite a taboo, because it makes you sympathize with this person that has done something terrible to many families.

I haven't searched up the topics of the other songs to see other things that interest this band. I can't wait for their next album, and hope they have other great singles to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment