Tuesday 31 January 2012

Mass Effect 2

I'm going to take a page out of Jotte's blog and write  a blog about a favourite video game of mine. I like to compare it to a mix of Star Trek, and Ocean's Eleven. The plot is that you are a character named Shepard, and you need to gather a crew together to stop an ancient alien race called the "Collectors" from trying to take over the universe. That plot by itself is pretty normal, but the stories inside the game are much better, and really make the game what it is.

This is the kind of game that I have recently came to love, its a game where you literally cannot have the same play through as one of your friends, without weird coincidence. In the game you crate what your character looks like, and what powers and guns they use, you choose whether you want to be good or evil (e.g. kill someone or save their life). And everything you do has an effect on the outcome. For example, at the end of the game, I did the last mission, and one of my crew members died. If you went to ten other people one could say that all his members lived, one could say that all his crew members died. 

I never played Mass Effect 1, which I kind of regret, because this series is a avalanche of repercussion which I wish I could have seen to the full extent. If I were to start in Mass Effect 1, and brought my character to Mass Effect 2, all my decisions would have a repercussion to the effect of new story lines in MS2. For example, if in MS1 you let a central character die, they obviously won't be there in MS2, while if I started in MS2, they will be there because I didn't have the option to kill them. 

The series will be coming to a conclusion in March, with Mass Effect 3, which I am quite exited for. Because while MS2 was amazing, it was the EMpire Strikes back of the series, the ending was quite morose, and I really want to see how my character ends up. 

The voice acting of the game is quite amazing also. They have voice actors like Martin Sheen, playing the Illusive Man.

Seth Green plays the pilot of the ship, Joker, 

The gameplay of the game is very well done too. You can control your squad fully, like tell them where to go, what weapon to use, which enemy to attack, and which psychic power they use (if they have any). It is in third person, which I like, because I'm sure if there was first person I would pick that because it's generally easier, I like the challenge of not having that option. In the game you spend most time hiding behind cover, then jumping out of the cover when the enemy has to reload.

Overall the game is definitely a 5/5 stars.

Link to Mass Effect 3 Trailer


No comments:

Post a Comment